The Q&A Archives: Hardwood Trees for Cabinet-making

Question: Where can I get information on what trees to plant for harvesting in 20-30 years? I understand that hardwoods for making fine furniture have always had a market? My father wants to plant trees, but does not want pines.

Answer: I would call your state's Department of Natural Resouces, and see if you have a county forester. This would be a good person to consult about what trees are appropriate for the climate, soil, etc. You might consider nut trees like walnut... but do contact a local forestry expert. I'm kind of curious about the new disease-resistant elms--though you'd want to do lots of research before investing in those!

My first thought is to plant a variety of trees--a monoculture of one type of plant encourages outbreaks of insects and/or disease. Also, consider that trees grown for lumber can need a good deal of maintenance (for example, trimming branches to promote knot-free wood) so get some professional advice. Finally, 20 to 30 years isn't very long when it comes to timber, so check with the forester about harvest cycles.

Today's site banner is by Lestv and is called "Butterfly on Spider Lily"