The Q&A Archives: Impatiens Fail To Thrive

Question: I usually plant impatiens on either side of the sidewalk leading to my house. The first 2 yrs. they grew great. Now,they don't grow well or spread. I have moderate shade in front of the house. I've added miracle grow soil in the past. What else can I do to get them to grow well again?

Answer: Impatiens should thrive in a shady area, especially when you feed them during the growing season. If you haven't added some organic matter to the bed recently, spread a couple of inches of compost over the top of the bed and dig it in to a depth of about 6 inches. This will improve the soil by loosening it so it drains well yet holds just the right amount of moisture, and will release nutrients to the roots of your annuals. I think you will see a big difference in their growth rate. Enjoy!