The Q&A Archives: Moles

Question: How do I control moles in my yard. What do they eat
Grubs and Worms?
Some say that if I get rid of the grubs the mole will leave. Is this true, or will they just eat the earth worms instead. Thanks

Answer: It's true - moles eat grubs and are more likely to hang around gardens with a large population of grubs. Moles will also eat earthworms but I don't think they are quite as attracted to them because of their sizes (grubs are fat a juicy!) Milky Spore Disease, Merit, or Grubex are all registered for use against grubs. Although they are sometimes marketed for spring application, they should be applied in July, since that's when the grubs are most susceptible. You may be able to purchase time release granules - if so you can apply them in the early summer. Be sure to apply according to label directions.