The Q&A Archives: Composite Deck

Question: I have a composite deck that is 3 years old. How do I clean it? Thank you Gail

Answer: Sweep excess debris (dirt and leaves) off the deck. Clean the deck with a high quality wood cleaner of your choice (Corte-Clean or Messmer's Composite Deck Cleaner are examples), then rinse thoroughly with clean water. Make sure the deck surface is clean, dry and in good condition. You may need to wait a few days for the deck to completely dry depending on weather conditions. If you want to restore the color you can then apply a composite deck stain. Cover plants, grass, concrete, trim, and any other areas you don't want stained.

Stir product thoroughly. Make sure that all pigment is mixed evenly into the stain. Apply one coat of Composite Deck Finish following label directions. After 30 minutes, brush or roll out any excess product puddled or pooled on the surface of the deck. If excess product is not removed, sticky, shiny spots may remain on the surface. Allow to dry according to product label directions.