The Q&A Archives: Thirsty Turf

Question: I just recently completed rebuilding my home and installed zoysia sod in the front yard. It was a requirement of the city to obtain a certificate of occupancy, nonetheless, now the city has enacted watering restrictions and we can only handwater once a week. This isn't sufficient to sustain my turf. What do you suggest?

Answer: Bahia and Empire Zoysia are the most drought tolerant turfgrasses for your region, but they will brown out if you can only water once a week. You might consider growing a groundcover plant instead. Some of the most drought tolerant groundcovers include Carpobrotus edulis (Hottentot fig, iceplant), Ernodea littoralis (Golden creeper), Ipomoea pescaprae (Beach morning glory, railroad vine), Lantana depressa
(Dwarf lantana), and Liriope muscari (Lily turf, liriope, big blue lily turf). Best wishes with your new landscape.