The Q&A Archives: Care of Mexican Bush Sage

Question: I cannot find much information on Mexican Bush sage, a herb that I bought a couple of weeks ago. Do I need to pinch it back to make it bushy? Right now it is one stem about 8 inches high. What do I need to do to care for this beautiful plant, and what is it used for?

Answer: Your plant is Salvia leucantha, and will grow 3'-4' feet tall with graceful, arching stems and grayinsh green foliage. It will produce long velvety purple spikes set with small white flowers throughout the summer and fall. Your Mexican Bush Sage is too young to pinch back now. Plant it in a sunny location where it will develop additional stems and branches on it's own. In the summer you can cut it back to use as cut flowers, or to dry and use in cooking.