The Q&A Archives: insect

Question: what is the insect that looks like scale, is grey or brown, attaches in a chevron pattern of about 10 each, I found them on my rose leaves and this spring on my Japanese maple branches.What do I use to prevent this. When I pick them off it leaves a scraped off section of branch.

Answer: Sounds more like insect eggs than an adult insect. Eggs are laid in patterns but insects rarely stand in formation such as you describe. I don't know which insect might lay eggs in that pattern and glue them down, but it could be beneficial. Or, it might be destructive. You can suffocate the eggs with a spray of horticultural oil or you can just wait and see what they hatch into.

« Click to go to the homepage

» Ask a question of your own

Q&A Library Searching Tips

  • When singular and plural spellings differ, as in peony and peonies, try both.
  • Search terms are not case sensitive.

Today's site banner is by Paul2032 and is called "Coreopsis"