The Q&A Archives: Do You Still Offer A Variety Of Climbing Roses?

Question: My current catalog from you (Gardens 98, 681767) lists only two climbing roses. While I do like the "Blaze" that you offer there, I thought I remembered that you used to offer the "Peace" climbing rose, among others.

I am looking for two different types of climbing roses:
- a pair of quick-growing climbers to be put on a ornamental arch entranceway in a mostly sunny location
- a single quick-growing climber, preferably white or yellow to be put on a brick trellis on the northwest corner of my house in a partly or mostly shady location.

Any suggestions (and possibly a copy of your rose catalog) would be very much appreciated.

W. L. DeVaughan, Lieutenant Colonel (Retired), U. S. Army

Answer: Burpee is only offering the climbing roses "Blaze" and "America". As you probably know, Blaze is red and America is coral-pink. If you are interested in either of those, call Burpee at 1-800-888-1447.

Here are some suggestions for white and yellow climbers: "Golden Showers" (yellow), "Lace Cascade" (white). However, these won't grow well in a mostly shady spot. I couldn't locate a white or yellow variety that will thrive in the shade. The two above would work in your sunny spot though. If I may make a suggestion, the variety 'Zephirine Drouhin' does very well in the shade and it is vigorous grower and a prolific bloomer. This rose is a medium pink, very mildew resistant and has little (if any) thorns.

Another good choice for the sunny spot is 'Paul's Himalayan Musk', it is a very vigorous grower with lots of "old fashioned" pinkish-lilac blooms.

'Zephirine Drouhin', and 'Paul's Himalayan' are available from Wayside Gardens at 1-800-845-1124. Wayside also offers climbing 'Peace' that you inquired about. 'Golden Showers' and 'Lace Cascade' are available from Jackson and Perkins at 1-800-292-4769.