The Q&A Archives: Cordyline Dark Star

Question: I live in zone 7, purchased a beautiful cordyline dark star from HomeDepot, yet research states it's not hardy for my zone. If I mulch it over winter, will that save the plant? It's so pretty but don't want to waste the $ & have it be annual rather than perennial. Thanks Mary Anne

Answer: My research show Cordyline dark star to be hardy to 15F. The foliage is not necessarily hardy to those temperatures, though. If you can plant it in a protected site where temperatures remain above freezing, the foliage and the roots of your plant will remain healthy outdoors all winter long. If this is not possible, you can keep your plant in a container and enjoy it outdoors during the spring and summer months but plan on taking it indoors from fall through winter. Or, if this is not an option, you may want to exchange it for something a little more hardy in your landscape. Best wishes with your beautiful new plant.