The Q&A Archives: Help With Plant Selection

Question: I have a 7' x 15' space in front of my house that I would like to plant flowers, shrubs and plants. I know nothing about gardening. What would you suggest I start with. Most of the day there is sunlight in front of the house. If I go to Home Depot can they suggest what I can plant and where? Thanks for your help.

Answer: The helpful folks at your local Home Depot garden center can certainly point out some sun loving plants for you as well as tell you how large they will be at maturity so you can plan how close to plant. Perennial flowers usually bloom for about 6 weeks so choose some that bloom at different times (spring, late spring, early summer, mid-summer and fall) so you're assured of having something in bloom at all times. Best wishes with your new garden!