The Q&A Archives: fertilizer

Question: G'morning. Is there a general fertilizer for plants? I planted lirope, dusty miller, gardenias, periwinkle, schefflera, lantana, pentas, cape honeysuckle, xanadu, plumbago, eurysops, delphinium, mexican petunias & hibiscus. I tried to plant drought tolerant, low water plants for the most part since I live in SW Fl, zone 10. Also, is there a better time to fertilize am/pm,I tend to water in the pm.

Answer: Any general fertilizer will work for the plants you've listed. Use a 10-10-10 or a 20-20-20. Some, like Miracle Gro, can be attached to your hose so you can water and feed at the same time. Others are time released granules and can be broadcast at the bases of your plants. Either type of fertilizer will provide adequate nutrition to your plants. You can feed at any time of the day (I would avoid high noon with a liquid fertilizer, though). Best wishes with your garden!