The Q&A Archives: How Often to Water Queen Palm

Question: How can I can for my Queen Palm? It has been very windy for the last two weeks and the ends are turning yellow. Is this normal. How often should I water my Queen Palm? Help!

Answer: There are no sure-fire ways of knowing exactly how much water your Queen Palms need - it depends on their size. But expect the roots to be shallow and wide (from 1-4' deep and spreading out to the ends of the fronds. You can try watering everyday when the temperature is 95 or above; 4 times a week when it is 84-94; 3 times a week 75-84 and twice a week when the temperature is 74 or lower. I keep my Queen Palms green by applying ammonium sulfate in March, July and again in September. The ends of the fronds can become dried out because of wind but the rest of the frond should remain green on healthy plants. Hope this helps!