The Q&A Archives: Plants Suited to Container-Growing

Question: I've recently moved into an apartment and would like to try and grow a few things on the balcony. I would love any suggestions you may have on plants that would do well in containers from the following groups: Strawberries, Raspberries, Blueberries, Herbs Climbing purple Clematis, and Tomato plant that is a prolific producer of medium-size fruit. Also, can I grow a mix of lettuce in containers? Thank you very much for any help you can offer. Samantha Smith Bayside, NY

Answer: You can grow strawberries in containers (I'd try the alpine types such as 'Ruegen'), many different herns including thyme, oregano, basil, parsley, chives, mint and sage, and any 'Jackmanii' purple flowered clematis would do fine also. Tomatoesthat stay dwarf such as 'Bush Big Boy' and most lettuce varieties grow well in containers too. Be sure you have full sun, good soil mix including potting soil, peat moss, and compost, and keep it watered and fertilized well.