The Q&A Archives: New to Vegetable Gardening

Question: I live Washington, near Seattle. I have never had a veggie garden or plnated anything in my life but I want to try this year. what veggies are good for this area? and at what time should I plant them?

Answer: Now is a great time to prepare your garden bed and to plant your vegetables. Start by mixing organic matter into the vegetable bed. Spread 3-4 inches of compost or aged manure over the soil and dig it in to a depth of 8-10 inches. Then level the planting bed and plant your favorite veggies. Since Seattle summers are short and cool, choose short season varieties of tomatoes, peppers, winter squash and melons. Other good choices are potatoes, carrots, lettuce, beans, peas, radishes, summer squash, and cabbage. Enjoy your garden!