The Q&A Archives: Grass

Question: What are my options? I have brown straw-like grass in the fall through late Spring. Can I use another type of grass seed or some kind of treatment to get rid of this grass. Would investing in a professional lawn care service help. I need help fast. Thanks.

Answer: Sounds like you are growing a warm season grass that goes dormant in the winter months and doesn't green up again until the temperatures are warm. You can overseed your lawn with cool season grass seed in early fall and you will have a green lawn through most of the year. Cool season grasses such as perennial rye stay green until the snow falls and greens up again when the temperatures go above 40F. You can overseed yourself, or you can hire someone to do it. Best wishes with your lawn!