The Q&A Archives: Dying Blue Spruce

Question: I have a blue spruce tree that was planted approx 3 years ago which now is turning brown and losing it's needles from the top of the tree down. What could be causing this and how can I save my tree?

Answer: If you've been watering deeply on a regular basis, the browning needles could indicate a pest invasion. Spider mites are the most common. Check for them by holding a sheet of white paper in among the branches and sharply tapping a branch or two to dislodge the pests. They are tiny, like specks of pepper. But they move. If you find these pests, you'll want to treat with a miticide. If you find no pests, the problem is most likely cultural or environmental - too much or too little water; sun or wind burn; too much fertilizer. Hope this information helps you determine the cause of the browning needles.