The Q&A Archives: what type of yard covers should I consider?

Question: Our yard is very shady and actually somewhat rocky with some muddy areas..We do have some grass but it is very difficult to maintain. A friend suggested some type of creeping yard cover that would fill in over time. Do you have any suggestions? I would prefer not to do ivy unless that is the best or only option! Thank you soo much for your help!

Answer: There are lots of groundcover choices for the shade. Ajuga (carpet bugle) is the first to come to mind. It is an evergreen low growing plant with spikes of purple flowers in the spring. Others to consider include Asiatic Jasmine (Trachelospermum), Hall's Honeysuckle (Lonicera japonica halliana), Holly Fern (Cyrtomium falcatum),
Japanese Spurge (Pachysandra terminalis), Lenten Rose (Helleborus orientalis),
Liriope (Liriope muscari), Mondo Grass (Ophiopogon japonicus), Plantain Lily (Hosta), Periwinkle (Vinca minor and Vinca major), Purple Wintercreeper (Euonymus fortunei coloratus) and St. Johnswort (Hypericum calycinum). Hope you find just the right ground cover for your landscape.