The Q&A Archives: bougainvillea sundown and asclepias curassivica

Question: Would you recommend these plants for my area and what care do I need to take for them to come back next year.

Answer: Bougainvilleas are frost tender so if your garden regularly gets frost, you can grow a bougainvillea but you should keep it in a container and plan on taking the plant indoors over the winter months. You can sink the container into the ground where it can grow in spring and summer, then unearth the pot and take the plant inside when it gets cold outdoors. If your garden does not experience winter frosts you can plant the bougainvillea directly outdoors in a sunny spot. Asclepias, or butterfly weed, is native to Texas and will grow happily in a sunny garden spot. Water once a week and it will thrive.