The Q&A Archives: nematods

Question: How can I get rid of them so my tomatoes will do better, I hate to get rid of soil since I live on beach and have to bring in all soil, is there some pest control I can add to my soil?

Answer: Soil solarization is a simple, safe, and effective way to reduce populations of damaging soil pests. Radiant heat from the sun is the lethal agent involved in soil solarization. A clear polyethylene mulch or tarp is used to trap solar heat in the soil. Over a period of several weeks to a few months, soil temperatures become high enough to kill many of the damaging soil pests and weed seed to a depth of nearly 8 inches. While you are solarizing your nematode infested soil you can grow your tomatoes in 5-gallon buckets filled with potting soil. Best wishes with your garden!