The Q&A Archives: Difference Between Sumac Shrub and Tree

Question: Is there a difference between sumac shrub and sumac trees? What, if any? We have seven elm tree stumps that send up shoots all summer. How can we kill them and what is the best method for removing the stumps? Cindy Mallory Denver, CO

Answer: Sumac shrub and tree are really the same thing, just the tree form has a central leader and the "shrub" has multiple leaders. To remove the dead elm stump, I'd hire a landscaper with a stump grinder to grind out the roots as mnuch as possible. Then keep diligently cutting back the sprouts to eventually kill the roots.There are commercial products such as "Stump Remover" available at garden centers that might be worth a try. I'd guess they work over a long period of time.