The Q&A Archives: moving bulbs

Question: We just decided to build and addition on the side on my house that has, great sun and spring flowers (bulbs style). can I move them or are they a lose? I would love to keep as many as possible. thanks! :)

Answer: It would be better for your bulbs if you moved them after the foliage dies down. The leaves are busy transporting energy back to the bulbs so they can flower next spring. If you dig them now you will interrupt this process and they bulbs may not flower next year. But, they will grow foliage and will flower the following year. So, the choice is yours. Bulbs are relatively inexpensive so you may want to just plow through the area without worrying about trying to save them. Decisions, decisions.....