The Q&A Archives: manure mixture

Question: How do I know if the manure is aged? I already mixted it with a little clay and some potting soil and put my seedlings in it in containers. Do you think it will be too strong for them? What should I do?

Answer: Aged manure will have an earthy smell not a urine smell and will look a little like peat moss. Fresh manure will clump together when wet and have a definite barnyard smell. Mixing it with garden soil and potting soil should be fine for your plants. Watch and wait - if they are getting too much nitrogen or the roots are being damaged, the plants won't thrive. If you purchased your manure from a topsoil company it is probably aged. If you got a truckload from a local farm, it's probably fresh. Best wishes with your plants!