The Q&A Archives: Bamboo

Question: 1) How do I help bamboo recover from mild-to-moderate frost bite? I left it outside one night and it got too cold. But otherwise it's an indoor plant.

2) Any tips on keeping an indoor bonsai Japanese Maple healthy? It's currently a sapling.

3) Any tips on small indoor 'kitchen' gardens?

Answer: Bamboo is like a giant grass. If the top dies down, the roots will generate more stems and leaves. Just give your bamboo a chance to recover and when new growth appears, prune off the dead leaves and stems. I'd take the Japanese maple outdoors to a shady spot during the spring and summer months and take it back indoors in the fall. You can grow lots of herbs on a sunny windowsill. In fact, there are even kits available with differen seed collections, potting soil, pots and fertilizer. Or, grow your own favorite herbs from seeds. Enjoy!

Today's site banner is by clintbrown and is called "Dicentra"