The Q&A Archives: Daphne Odora

Question: I have read the Daphne Odora is poinsonous to pets but no one goes into detail of how poisonous - like if they brush against will the die or is it more like you have to eat the entire bush to get ill? Do you know? I really want one for my yard and my dog has never eaten plants before but we do have guest dogs occasionally and I certainly don't want to poison one.

Answer: According to the ASPCA's poisonous plants database, all parts of Daphne odora are poisonous if ingested. As with all toxic plants, the poison is in the dose. Consuming a leaf or two will probably make your dog vomit. If he/she ate large quantities of the plant, it could be fatal. I've grown Daphne in my yard for years and none of my dogs have shown the least bit of interest in it. If you really want to plant Daphne, go ahead. Just watch it and watch your dog while the plant is new. Once it has been in the yard for a while, your pet probably won't be interested in it.

« Click to go to the homepage

» Ask a question of your own

Q&A Library Searching Tips

  • When singular and plural spellings differ, as in peony and peonies, try both.
  • Search terms are not case sensitive.

Today's site banner is by Lestv and is called "Butterfly on Spider Lily"