The Q&A Archives: Flowers

Question: I planted hardy mums last fall. They have begun to come out but I was told to cut them back until about August. In August do I need to do anything special to them to ensure that they are healthy and will bloom through fall?

What is a good colorful perennial/annual to plant in an area that gets afternoon sun?

What plants do I put in hanging baskets that will thrive through our hot summer

Answer: What you heard about cutting back your mums is correct. I cut my mums back twice a year. In June, I cut back the chrysanthemums to 2" in height. In July, I cut them back to 6" in height. Since I have started doing this I have full, lush mums that bloom September through October. Ivy Geraniums are great for hanging baskets. Or, plant wave petunias or portulaca in your hanging baskets. Enjoy your garden!