The Q&A Archives: Bermuda grass

Question: I want to know the best weed killer for bermuda grass and what products to use on it. I have numerous weeds growning. I spread scotts weed and feed on it earlier but the weeds are still coming on.

Answer: There are many different type of weeds and, unfortunately, there is not one product that can control all type of weeds in a bermuda grass lawn. Usually you need a broadleaf herbicide and one for grassey weeds.

For years, manufacturers of broadleaf weed control products have combined several herbicides in one product which is why you hear the term three-way. These have commonly included 2,4-D, mecoprop, and dicamba, which are common names of the herbicide. These products are combined because together they control more weeds than any one of them would alone. For example, MCPP provides better control of clover and chickweed than does 2,4-D, and dicamba provides better control of ground ivy.

Many products are available in liquid and granular formulations with these three ingredients for bermuda grass lawns. Included are Ortho Weed-B-Gon Weed Killer For Lawns, Southern Ag Lawn Weed Killer with Trimec, Ace Spot Weed Killer, Ortho Basic Solutions Lawn Weed Killer, and Bayer Advanced Southern Weed Killer for Lawns. One reason for the popularity of these products is that most of these can be applied to all of the commonly grown turfgrasses in the south including Bermuda grass lawns.

A thick healty turf will crowd out weeds so put your turf on a regular watering, mowing and fertilizing schedule and you will see fewer weeds next spring.