The Q&A Archives: Fuchsia

Question: I purchased a mini-fuchsia almost 3 weeks ago and planted it in a great plant window. Nothing is happening. What can I do? I love fuchsia's and was hoping for a nice little plant.

Answer: This early in the season you probably purchased a little fuchsia start. You can encourage bushiness by pinching out the tiny tips of the stems. Wherever you pinch, two new little stems should emerge. Fuchsia's are great in hanging baskets or pots where they can cascade over the sides and show off their blossoms. Keep your plant in a shady area and be sure to keep the potting soil moist. Pinch the stems back early in the season, then let the plant grow as it wants. You'll be rewarded with dozens of beautiful blooms this summer.