The Q&A Archives: Amending Clay Soil with Gypsum

Question: I live in Waxahachie, TX where we have very heavy black gumbo soil. I understand gypsum as well as organic matter will help break up the soil . How much gypsum is recommended? Will too much harm the soil? Dave martinelli Waxahachie, TX

Answer: Gypsum is fine to help break up clay soil, but first you should have a soil test done to determine the nutrient levels in the soil. This test will also tell you how much gypsum to add. Check your local Cooperative Extension Office(214-937-4461) for getting a soil test. Also, it's a good idea to add organic matter to the soil yearly in the forms of hay, straw, leaves, grass clippings and even growing cover crops such as buckwheat to help loosen the clay. It will take time but the soil will get easier to work and more fertile.