The Q&A Archives: Garden planning

Question: I have a 8 x 20 ft. driveway area, I dug out (3 truckloads of dirt) last summer. The ground was too high and the dirt was washing over the curb, onto my driveway and into the street; a constant mess. I have planted a Flowering Plum, 2 Crape myrtles, and a Rose of Sharon tree. It's part sun, part shade and grass will not grow well. Do I need a ground cover or mulch the area?

Answer: Ground covers and a mulches will suppress weeds, slow water evaporation and help moderate soil temperatures. I'd put down a mulch just to keep the weeds under control. Use a 3 inch thick layer of mulch or cover the area with weed block fabric and put bark or rock or other decorative material over the weed block. Your garden will remain weed free and attractive for many years to come. Enjoy!