The Q&A Archives: Fast Growing Shade Tree

Question: I would like to plant a fast growing shade tree in my yard. North Central Florida (Ocala - The Villages) area, zone nine. I would like something that flowers. If I want to be able to have shade by next year, how large a tree should I buy. Also any suggestions for fast growing flowering shade trees. My yard is full sun all day long.

Answer: The red Florida buckeye, Aesculus pavia, shade tree grows fast into small shade trees that flower brilliantly red in late spring, or the Catalpa tree will work well in your area, as will the orchid tree (Bauhinia). Another fast growing shade tree is Dahlberia. The flowers are small but attract butterflies and the tree grows fast. Hope one of these is just right for your landscape.