The Q&A Archives: Shrubs and Flowers

Question: I live in SW Colorado, a desert climate at, 5,800 feet in elevation, yet have plenty of irrigation water to work with. I have a circular drive with a lg. island, 40X80 feet, in the center which I have planted a few trees. I also have a mound that I intend to plant some flowers and shrubs with lots of color. Can you recommend some shrubs and flowers suitable for my suitation?

Answer: Colorado State University Cooperative Extension has lots of publications dealing with shrubs and perennials suitable for your growing region. Here's the web address: You can print out the guides. They contain growing requirements (sun/shade) and flower color along with suggestions for trees and shrubs. Hope you find these publication helpful!