The Q&A Archives: Orchid Tree

Question: I live in North Central Florida (Ocala/Villages area), zone 9. I have (had) an Orchid Tree that was hit by the frost bad this year. I cut back all limbs to the trunk. Now I have a little bit of sprouting half way down the trunk. Is it possible this tree will come back. It was about 8 ft tall. If so how can I promote quicker growth.

Answer: The fact that your orchid tree is sending out new growth is a sign that the roots are alive. The branches should be, too, but if you don't see new leaf growth by the end of April, you may need to replace the tree or cut the tree down to where the new growth is emerging. This will result in a crook in the trunk so you'll have to decide whether to live with the damage or replace the tree. At this point I think I would just take a wait and see attitude. Hope your tree recovers soon!