The Q&A Archives: Moldy Mulch

Question: I have a pile of woodchips I aged over winter, now I have moldy layers. Will this hurt my flowers? I would like to put it around the plants as a mulch.

Answer: The mycelium (white stringy stuff) in your woodchips is part of the natural decompostion process. As long as you use the chips as above-ground mulch on annuals and perennials, there should be no problem. The mycelium will dry up when exposed to sunlight and air. Just as a precaution, don't put the mulch up around the bases of woody plants, or close enough to touch the trunks of trees.

« Click to go to the homepage

» Ask a question of your own

Q&A Library Searching Tips

  • When singular and plural spellings differ, as in peony and peonies, try both.
  • Search terms are not case sensitive.

Today's site banner is by mcash70 and is called "Moss on a log"