Question: I'm not sure where to cut when trimming off the old roses. I've been told to cut above the 5 leave and then below the 5 leave. Please help me to save my roses in Az. Thank-you Val

Answer: To remove the spent roses, or "deadhead", simply cut back the flower stem to just above the first leaf with five leaflets. This will make the bush look neater and encourage it to rebloom sooner. If you need to prune down your roses in a more serious fashion, now's the time to do it. Cut everything down to about 18" from the ground and remove all but 3-5 of the strongest looking green canes. Prune out the gray canes. After cutting everything down you should have a vase shaped structure. New growth will emerge from the canes and you will get flowers as the branches mature. Hope this answers all your questions!