The Q&A Archives: Growing Chester Blackberries

Question: My family and I LOVE blackberries so I bought 2 Chester Blackberry plants, I planted them this morning but now what? I know nothing about them, I grew up with wild blackberries in the woods and we didn't do anything with them but picked (tried to pick) the blackberries. Ouch! Anyway, I don't know what to do with my plants after planting them. Can I just leave them and watch them grow?

Answer: Well, the good news is that Chester Blackberries are thornless! So, no more ouch when you pick the berries. There's really nothing you need to do other than sit back and watch them grow. They need lots of sunshine and some water now and then and they will flower and produce lots of berries for you to enjoy. Fruit is borne on the previous years growth, so cut canes to the ground after they have finished bearing.

Today's site banner is by Lestv and is called "Butterfly on Spider Lily"