The Q&A Archives: Sources for Some Pear Cultivars

Question: I am seeking suggestions for pear varieties (not Asian pears) which can be grown here in Baton Rouge (USDA climate zone 8B, according to some versions of that map). Ideally, I want the following characteristics, if possible: (1) low-chill (less than approx. 500 hrs) (2) resistance to fireblight (3) self-fertile (if not, please suggest a pollenator) (4) available as dwarf or semi-dwarf (5) buttery fruit texture (not crunchy). I understand that the cultivars Warren, Orient, and Hood may meet some orall of the criteria. Please comment on these three cultivars and let me know of any others which fit the description. Thanks! Jerry Freedman Baton Rouge, LA

Answer: You're on the right track with 'Warren'. Also try 'Ayers' and Kieffer' too. They can be purchased through, Classical Fruits 8831 AL Hwy 157 Moulton, AL 36550 205-974-8813