The Q&A Archives: Is my tree dead?

Question: We purchased an Avocado tree, I would love to save it. It had a lot brown leaf tips and we were told it was because the water it was given had to much fretilizer in it and that is how the plant gets rid of it. We made sure the hole drained well, then took the tree out of the pot and diped the roots in root stimulator 1tbs. per gallon, then planted the tree. Next day all leaves were brown. Help!

Answer: Sounds like major transplant stress. If the roots are healthy your tree will develop healthy new leaves in a matter of weeks. All you need to do is water deeply once each week and wait for the roots to become established in the ground. You won't know for a few weeks though, so just be patient with your new tree. I hope it perks up soon!