The Q&A Archives: Recycled Glass Mulch

Question: Our local recycling center offers free recycled glass mulch for use in landscaping. I would like to use it at my home but not sure how or where to use it. I also have three small children and a dog and want it to be used in a safe way for them. Also what is the maintenance and upkeep? Any suggestions?

Answer: Recycled glass can be used in pathways and as colorful accents in specific garden areas but it doesn't serve the same purposes as standard garden mulches in that it does not break down and nourish the soil. It might have some decorative value, though, and to my knowledge it is processed enough that there are no sharp edges. If you want a focal point in your garden or a colorful pathway, I'd say go ahead and use it, but I wouldn't cover large flower beds with it. Once you have it in your yard, you will always have it because it doesn't deteriorate.