The Q&A Archives: Myrhh

Question: Could you please give me some information about a plant called MUR? I ordered one form the local Master Gardening Association and I cannot find anything in all of my gardening books. The spelling that they gave was as above, but I'm wondering if it is not spelled like the traditional myrhh.

Answer: There's a shrubby tree called Balsamodendron myrrha, that's native to Arabia and Somalia, that might be what you ordered. It's grown for the reddish-brown resin called myrrh that is harvested from the stem of the plant. There's not a whole lot of information available on the growth requirements of this plant, but it appears to be a hardy, drought-tolerant plant. Put it in full sunshine and water regularly until it's established, and then just watch it grow.