The Q&A Archives: Shade Plants Compatible with Black Walnuts

Question: We have huge old walnut trees bordering one entire side of our property. Some are black walnut, some English. We also have a large coastal redwood. I need to know what to plant in the shade, but in particular, what is not going to be affected by the walnut trees. I've heard they secrete something that bothers many plants. I live in Happy Camp, CA, a very small town in the far northwestern portion of the state. We have an unusual microclimate, possibly because we are in heavily forested land, but only 1100 ft. elevation, and are alongside the Klamath River in the Siskiyou Mountains. We are able to grow a great many things here--many more than southern. California where I lived most of my life. Marcia Stumpf Happy Camp, CA

Answer: There are many shade plants that would grow under black walnuts. I'll list a few such as ajuga, wild ginger, sweet woodruff, hosta, sensitive fern, Soloman's seal, bloodroot and wood violets. Plus many bulbs such as daffodils, tulips and Hyacinths.