The Q&A Archives: ground covr

Question: I just moved into a home that is in bad need of landsacaping because the back yard goes down a hill I would like to plant some fast growing ground cover. the soil has a lot of rocks in it and I need something that will fill in quickly any suggestions i am in Darien Ct

Answer: Native plants are the best plants for difficult situations such as you have described. I'd plant Bearberry, kinnickinick (Arctostaphylos uva-ursi) - Bearberry is a useful ground cover that is handsome year-round. The leaves are glossy and evergreen. Small pink or white flowers in late spring are followed by bright red berries, popular with ground-dwelling birds. In winter, the stems become red and the leaves take on a dark red tint. Bearberry grows well in exposed, rocky or sandy sites. Barren strawberry (Waldsteinia fragariodes) - Barren strawberry looks similar to strawberry plants, but with showy yellow flowers (and no edible fruit). Like strawberries, barren strawberry will spread quickly by runners, making it a good ground cover. The leaves are evergreen, at least during Connecticut's milder winters. Yellow flowers in spring and summer. 4-8 inches tall. Virginia creeper (Parthenocissus quinquefolia) - although a climbing vine, it makes a great groundcover, too. A vigorous and adaptable vine with showy fall foliage. Virginia creeper will climb up walls or trees, clinging to the surface with adhesive disks. If it doesn't have anything to climb, it serves as a fast-spreading ground cover. In fall, the leaves turn brilliant red. Tolerates salt, strong wind, and urban conditions. Hope one of these plants works in your landscape.