The Q&A Archives: Phosphorous Free Fertilizer; Bulbs

Question: Why are some fertilizers made phosphorous free? It stimulates root growth, correct? FYI - I am in the Atlanta, GA area.Also, I planted tulips for the first time & they did very well. How long do I leave the foliage before cutting & should the bulbs be dug up? If so, haow are they stored until next fall?

Answer: Actually, phosphorous promotes flowering (along with helping strengthen stems). Potassium is the element that promotes healthy root growth (along with working in conjunction with the other two elements). So, a fertilizer without phosphorous would be great for non-flowering plants.

Wait for the foliage on your tulips to die down on their own. Once the leaves are crispy brown you can dig the bulbs, pull off the leaves, and store the bulbs in a cool place until September. At that time you can replant them in your garden.