The Q&A Archives: Invasive weed in lawn

Question: A new weed has appeared in my lawn this spring and is spreading rapidly. It has a growth habit similar to crabgrass, grows from a center and spread flatly outward. It is slighly blue-green and when the lawn is unmowed for a few day the tips of this weed poke up above the rest of the law.When viewed from above, instead of the usual regular pattern seen in turfgrass, it looks irregular and some soil is visible. Can you identify from this description and is there anything to be done about it? El Nino has created unusual growing conditions this year with much more water than usual, don't know is this might be a factor.

Answer: It's really difficult to identify a weed based upon a description; why not dig one up and take it to your local Extension Office for positive i.d. (2604 Ventura Ave. Rm 100, Santa Rosa, phone 707-527-2621). If weeds are sprouting all over your lawn, it indicates the grass is not as vigorous as it could be. A lawn full of healthy grass plants should be thick enough to crowd out most weeds. You can help your lawn become healthier by putting it on a regular feeding schedule and watering as often as needed. Depending on grass type, you may need to fertilize four times each year, and water 2-3 times per week. Check with the Extension Office for recommendations in your locality. For now, I'd just hand pull or dig the weeds to keep them from spreading or going to seed.