The Q&A Archives: Concrete Backyard

Question: I have a concrete backyard in the city that receives a healthy mix of shade and sun (sunniest during the middle of the day). I don't have the budget to rip up concrete and I don't want do just scatter a few containers full of annuals around the space. Is it possible to create a perennial garden in containers that will survive overwintering? Which plants give me the best chance for success?

Answer: Plants in containers won't often overwinter because the roots are exposed to the elements and will usually freeze solid. You might try grouping the pots together and then wrapping insulating material around and beneath them. Or, just plan on planting seasonal annuals and enjoying new color every spring. Aside from some of the sturdiest evergreen shrubs and trees, most plants won't survive the winter in containers. Wish I had better news for you!