The Q&A Archives: Planting Ornamental Cherry Tree

Question: I had to dig up a few shrubs and in the area, so I really had to weed and pull out lots of roots. I added a bag of Miracle Grow soil and mixed it into the existing soil because its very sandy soil. Also after I plant it I was just going to spray a liquid fertilizer around it and add a food stake in a few months. Is there anything else I should do. Should I add compost and if so where can I get it?

Answer: The liquid fertilizer application should be all your tree needs at this point. Don't use fertilizer stakes. Next spring sprinkle granualated time release fertilizer beneath the tree and scratch it in to the soil surface. This way the entire root system will benefit from the fertilizer instead of just the roots near the fertilizer stakes. Mulch material can be anything organic. You can purchase a bag of compost at your local garden center. Mulching helps suppress weeds and slow water evaporation so I think it's worth the investment. Aside from the above, your new tree needs to be watered deeply once each week during the growing season. Enjoy your new tree!