The Q&A Archives: Landscaping using natural stone

Question: We live on 40 acres where I have found many cliffs and flat rocks in the creek. Do you think it is possible to use these to construct a patio. Lots of work, I know, but awesome results if done right, do you agree?

Answer: Very awesome idea! Not many people have such a ready source of material! Hauling will be a pain but the results will be well worth the effort! The best part is that you can collect the rocks and lay them out immediately. This way you will know how many more to collect for the area you want to cover. Just dry lay them until you are happy with the results and then brush sand in between to help anchor them. I'd start by leveling the proposed area and spreading 3-4 inches of builder's sand. Tamp it down so it won't shift and then start laying your rocks. What a terrific patio you're going to have! Enjoy!