The Q&A Archives: onion grass

Question: I have 2 acres of grass with tons of onion grasses popping up.Before we start a mowing schedule,I'd love to kill them when I can see them.Pulling them leaves the bulbs.Can I spritz w/ round-up? Will the dead area come back w/ grass soon?

Answer: Weed-be-Gone will kill wild onions, but you have to spray in early spring when they are tender and growing rapidly. It works really well on young bunches. On mature bunches you may have to mow over them and spray in about 4 days when they have 4-6 inches of new growth. Wild onions do come back over time, from neighboring property etc., but this works for about 2-3 years. Any product you use on wild onions will affect your grass but the grass will grow back eventually. Best wishes with your landscape!