The Q&A Archives: Too late to plant bulbs?

Question: My husband just bought me several bulbs for my garden. Is it to late to plant them now (end of April)? They are dinnerplate dahlia, asiatic lily and cactus dahlia. Our yard has southern exposure. Also, I have a rosebush that was here when we moved in. It has gotten spindly and I think needs some type of food. What

Answer: The bulbs your husband brought you are summer blooming bulbs and can be planted in the garden right now. You should have beautiful flowers this summer!

A spindly rose bush is one that needs to be pruned back. Start by cutting everything down to about 18 inches from the ground then removing any old, gray canes and keeping 3-5 healthy canes. New growth will emerge from the canes and your rose bush will fill out beautifully and flower nicely later this summer. Enjoy!