The Q&A Archives: Peach Problems

Question: I have a peach tree, every year the fruits grow rotted &/or not to size, what should I do?

Answer: A common cause of few fruits is a lack insect activity during the blooming period. Your tree is self-fruitful, but it still needs pollinators to be active when the tree is in bloom. If your tree had lots of flowers but no fruit, I'd suspect that either the blossoms were killed by a late cold snap or there weren't enough pollinating insects around. When weather is cold or rainy, honey bees are reluctant to fly, and that sometimes spells disaster for fruit tree crops. Encourage pollinators to visit your yard by planting a variety of flowers. To improve your chances for fruit, make sure the tree gets plenty of water and is fertilized once a year in the spring with composted manure, compost or a general garden fertilizer.