The Q&A Archives: small trees

Question: I would like to plant plants in my front yard but the septic is there, my husband is afraid the root system will damage it somehow, what plants can I plant there without causing damage?And my husband not to freakout?

Answer: Small trees are probably out of the question, and there are very few shrubs with small root systems. You don't want to go through the problems invasive roots can cause, so you'll probably want to stick with perennials in that garden spot! Some dwarf shrubs do have small root systems; daphne, for example, would be a good candidate for the site. Perennial suggestions include astilbe, bleeding heart, lilium and hosta. Hope you find just the right plant to fill that void in your garden!